ANN: Release Candidate is Available

Topics: Announcements, Converters and Runtime, Samples and Test Suite
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 7:54 AM
Edited Jun 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Hello All,

We have managed to complete the work for the version 1.0 release.
The release candidate is available in the source repository, but will not be released as RC.

Sorry for the delay, the converter application took more time than we thought.

Please download the sources and provide us with some feedback and suggestions for improvement.
We will release the final version on June 11-12, if there is no stopping bug. It is extensively tested
and we will continue to test it. 

The included converter application, SharpVectors.exe, is the rework of the WpfConveters application, and
can be found in the Samples/WpfConveters directory with output in the Samples/WpfConveters/Output directory. 

The converter can run in quiet, console or interactive (windows) mode. It will also pop up a minimal
window to show conversion progress if you drag and drop files onto the application icon.

The application can convert a single file (with preview), multiple files or a directory of files (recursively), and
should be able to meet most if not all needs and uses. Please try it, it took a lot of time :)

We are currently working to complete the integrated help, and this should be ready by the release time. Each page
is, however, very informative and we think it is easy to use - prove us wrong :)

Have a nice week, and God bless you all.

Best regards,
Paul. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Besides some minor issues like #570, it works great. I love the new converter app! The only thing I'm missing is an option for the OptimizePath setting.

Tobias

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Thank you Tobias, for the feedback and for catching that bug. You are making this work easy.

That bug was a last minute change to prevent converting duplicate files, if the user mistakenly specified it.

Okay, let me tell you the secret about the OptimizePath...

Initially, the WPF path is rendered like the GDI+ version, breaking each path into segments and then rendering
each segment. Due to the double precision coordinates of the WPF, this was introducing some unwanted values
in the output.

Later, I realized that the SVG path language is the same as the WPF path language, and decided to try using
that. At that time I was reliably using the first approach, so I added that property so that I could continue testing
both. I liked the second approach, decided to get the first as close as possible and that is what you see
in the result :)

If you like that option, I can add it. What single letter will you suggest for the command line?

Best regards,
Paul. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I was under the impression, that OptimizePath is disabled by default, but just saw, that this is not the case. From what I've tried so far, OptimizePath=true works pretty well, so there's no need to make this configurable.

Tobias

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Another idea for the converter:

Right now I take the converted xaml and "post-process" it this way:

- Wrap it in a DrawingImage
- Put the DrawingImage into a resource dictionary with a specific key
- Add PresentationOptions:Freeze="true" to the DrawingImage

The resulting xaml can then directly be used as a ResourceDictionary in VS.
Maybe this is a common enough scenario to add an option "-d/--dictionary <key>" that makes the converter directly create a resource dictionary with a single DrawingImage?

Tobias

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2011 at 11:20 PM

>>TobiasOptimizePath=true works pretty well, so there's no need to make this configurable.

Thanks, that was my assumption that the default is what most will need. We will get back to it
again when editing features are implemented.

>>Tobias: The resulting xaml can then directly be used as a ResourceDictionary in VS.

The option you mean is "root element", and the possible elements are DrawingImage, Canvas, Page and the
ResourceDictionary you are using. I considered it but dropped it - do not know if I could get something that
will satisfy most needs. We can kick it off and allow suggestions to improve it - will look into it for this release.

Best regards,
Paul. 

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Hello All,

This is to let you know we are planning to release the version 1.0 as scheduled.
There are some issues and feature requests, but we address these in future releases.

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards,
Paul.