ANN: Planning Release 1.0

Topics: Announcements
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Hello All,

I am currently planning to release the version 1.0 of the SharpVectors library.

There are many developments since announcing this library and a lot of interests;
GDI+ rendering does have a market, two other developers have joined the project etc.
I wish to release this version as (1.0) with some bug fixes and start planning for a new
release, which could better meet the needs of the future, including a new design of the
GDI+ rendering. 

The planned release date is May 15, 2011. Please, any suggestions, ideas, patches, bug fixes
are all welcome.

Best regards,
Paul. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this project, I'm currently planning to use The Noun Project resources as icons for our wpf project.

I use a small Console Application I've made based on FileSvgConverter to quickly convert (drag-drop on exe) .svg files into .xaml.

2 suggestions for 1.0 :

• Provide a quick-and-simple console app bundled with sample applications in first release which convert .svg to .xaml
  • Fix WI #501 so users with different culture could use the XamlXmlWriter.
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Thanks for the input. Nice project you have there.

1. This is the work item http://sharpvectors.codeplex.com/workitem/430 and will implement it in the 1.0.
     I was, however, not planning it as console application, but will take your request into account. I was planning
     a GUI with support for file and directory conversions, with image and XAML outputs options.

2. I will apply the patch you/Tobias provided, together with some other fixes in the next update before the release.

Best regards,
Paul. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM

1. This is the work item http://sharpvectors.codeplex.com/workitem/430 and will implement it in the 1.0.
     I was, however, not planning it as console application, but will take your request into account. I was planning
     a GUI with support for file and directory conversions, with image and XAML outputs options.

If features are well encapsulated, it will be easy to provide both of them.

Checking if arg[0] is a directory or a path is really easy, and support for drag&drop file to exe shortcut is really efficient. It will allow to provide first a console app quicker that a full GUI app. If I decide to enhance my console app I'll share it with you.

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 9:02 AM

>> If features are well encapsulated, it will be easy to provide both of them.

The main converters are complete and any GUI or Console application is simply providing a convenient means to
use those classes interactively.

If possible a single GUI with Console creation option could be used (created one as part of a help file registration tool),
making it a single application.

>> If I decide to enhance my console app I'll share it with you.

Thank you. You can also join the project if you wish to do more work on it, there is no restriction.

Best regards,
Paul. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:32 PM

+1 for adding a simple svg2xaml console application (to be used from build scripts!).

I wrote my own, which is as simple as:

var wpfDrawingSettings = new WpfDrawingSettings();
            wpfDrawingSettings.IncludeRuntime = false;
            var fileSvgConverter = new FileSvgConverter(true, false, wpfDrawingSettings);
            if (!fileSvgConverter.Convert(Path.GetFullPath(args[0]), Path.GetFullPath(args[1])))
            {
                return -1;
            }

...could need some options and error handling.

And with some Nokogiri-magic I use this in my rake build script to convert all SVG-Icons/Images to DrawingImages in resource dictionaries.

So far, this works pretty well and besides the locale issues, the SVG's are converted to XAML without any problems.
Everything else I tried before to convert SVG to XAML didn't work very well.

You deserve a BIG THANK YOU! for SharpVectors!

Tobias

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Edited Apr 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Tobias: Thanks for the input and feedback, it is very encouraging :)

The console converter application will be added.

styx31: Please can you get back to me? I wanted to use your Strings class to eliminate the references to the
System.Web assembly (the issue #510), but the SharpVectors.Core uses UrlDecodeToBytes method, which is

not implemented in our class - any help?

Best regards,

Paul.